A war movie with no “A-list” actors beating Star Wars at the box office?
How is that possible? Several analysts opine the reasons for this success, including:
- winning the Golden Globes for Best Picture and Best Director (most voters were foreigners and film critics, so many could have a dim view of comic book movies);
- the much touted technical aspects of the film, making you feel like you are on the mission with the main characters (which it does);
- more adults attending the theater (when I was there, the average age was over 25 (non-scientific observation);
- war pictures shape the film medium as one of the most consistent genres that combine drama and action; the genre has world-wide interest;
- it draws talented directors; and
- had a relatively modest budget (reported to be around $90 million).