A Geektime reporter does a bit of due diligence and determines that the AurumCoin crowdfunding campaign is a scam.
Some evidence that the plea for money is not credible:
- the appeal to the greed and doomsday factor;
- no rewards for donations; located offshore;
- the company would not reveal its management;
- the use of a stock photo of their US representative on LinkedIn;
- their United States representative did not appear exist in a web search; and
- the use of gold as a standard of value.
Congrats to the reporter for doing some initial digging and being skeptical.