Have you received a call from the Securities and Exchange Commission ?
If so, it’s a scam.
In defense of this rash of telephone fraud, the SEC has issued an Investor Advisory. It says that “the SEC will never endorse investment offers, assist in the purchase or sale of securities, or participate in money transfers. SEC staff will not, for example, contact individuals by telephone or email for purposes of:
- recommending an investment opportunity;
- seeking assistance with a fund transfer;
- forwarding investment offers to them;
- advising individuals that they own certain securities;
- telling investors that they are eligible to receive disbursements from an investor claims fund or class action settlement; or
- offering grants or other financial assistance (especially for an upfront fee).”